Thursday, October 22, 2009

Flexaret VI

About two weeks back when I was in Olomouc (pronounced Olomoats) in the Czech republic, Greg from New Zealand who worked at the Poets Corner Hostel in the past and was familiar with the town, took me to a camera shop that was seriously in favor of analogue. City's larger than Olomouc in Ireland don't have camera shops as well stocked as this one.

I bought a Flexaret VI TLR for 850 Czech crowns, about €35. I left it in my backpack, and decided not to shoot a test roll till I got back to Dublin. The production years for that camera are 1961 to 65.

The First shot I made with it, the reflection from the back of a Fiat Punto.

The optics seem to be uncoated, yet despite that there is good tonality in the negs.


Theres a wonderful dreamlike softness to the images (due to uncoated glass), more of a portrait camera to be used in the studio or fine art projects, rather than on the street.
The Viewfinder is extremely dark, which can lead to composing difficulty's but I guess thats due to some mold forming in the top lens.
Other than that, I'm more excited about using this piece of gear, than I am about a new D700 I got a while back, yes you heard me right, I'm that much of a nerd.

6 comments:

Hello Xu Xu said...

Nice photos mate. Glad the flexoret turned out to be a runner. Did the shot of the boy pissing turn out?? I'm in Taiwan now. Might as well be on a different planet....

Seamus T said...

Thanks Greg, yeah I'd say Taiwan is a real step away from the Czech Republic, I still have 15 rolls to develop but when I post that photo I'll let you know.

Donsnyc said...

Hi there!

I just got myself a Flexaret VI. How did you like it? How is the picture quality? Any tips for me?

Thanks!

Don

Anonymous said...

I did the same photo of the women in this same time, a woman on the right also have a cigarette in his mouth ...
ps. I have a d700 and it is super

Seamus T said...

@:Donsnyc: Hi Don the Flexaret is a lovely camera, great for portraits due to the soft lens. Although watch the highlights in bright weather they do tend to blow out.

.kubat fotography. said...

I love the photos.. I bought a Flexaret VI while traveling in Prague and after I shot my first roll, I am excited to start another. Unfortunately, I forgot how to roll 120 film into the camera. If you could help me in any way, I would be most appreciative! :) Thank you in advance!