Thursday, August 09, 2007

Free Hugs

What the hell is with all these teenagers going around town holding free hugs signs, these days.
Four times now I've come across groups of people (all late teens, all a little emo)walking around giving away free hugs.
One time it was two men in bear suits.
And on two of those occasions I had a camera with me.

Hugs are too precious a commodity in our modern age, to be given away for free.

I've since then done a little research and this whole phenomenon started in Australia, and then was spread by the internet by forums such as myspace, bebo and youtube.
That would explain the young age of all the people doing it, i.e. too much free time.

As opposed to having too much free time for walking around with a camera photographing random shit that takes place. On a time consuming analogue format, to end up with pictures of no commercial value.

The first of this series and by far the best. I love how the Garda is reaching behind to grab his handcuffs, you'd swear he's about to arrest them.


They were yelling at the police, free hugs for free drugs. I'm reilly suprised they the didn't search them.This woman either doesn't want to be hugged or just doesn't want to be photographed.

I anticipated this moment wrong, I saw the sign ahead over the shop saying envy. I thought it would make a good juxtaposition, of the signs with opposing meanings. Unfortunately I was too low, and his head is blocking the V on the sign. If I had of taken the shot standing I would have got the full sign in frame. But alas it's too late for "if's".
That reminds me back in February I shot two men in Bear suits doing the same thing. I just digged out the negatives.

This is actually from the first roll of film I ever shot with my Nikon f3.
Which has since died on me this week.
The shop in the background is appropriately named Korky's. A real teddy bear name.
Ahhhhhhh so wuvable.



I had just missed it but someone had punched this bear in the face.

Some people don't care for free hugs much.
While others do.


Awwwww makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

Everyone needs hugs once in a while.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha hah nice one, love the shot of the bear rubbing its eye
(i'm just writing my own blog at the minute!) :D

Corvi said...

Sooo much love. Makes me want some hugs too ..

Lisa said...

i love your job. and i m not used to say that, i mean, i m not an expert maybe, but i m critical...really love your job,thanks for show it.

Lisa said...

i love your job. and i m not used to say that, i mean, i m not an expert maybe, but i m critical...really love your job,thanks for show it.

Laith said...

I saw the print of the bear extending its arms at chris week's place, now finally i have found the photographer. Beautiful street work.